09 May 2006

Guineos Galore

Yes, guineos are indeed bananas. But what I didn't realize until just a couple weeks ago is that they can also refer to platanos, or plantains. Which is the main staple of what my family here eats for breakfast and dinner. They are definitely not my favorite food when they are just boiled, which is the normal way to make them, so I've tried to just eat one a day and find other food around. There's a saying here about platanos and how eating too many of them makes one. . . slow. . .

More importantly, I got quite the surprise yesterday when my doña showed me the big bottle of water that she had bought for me to eat. I was under the impression that I had been drinking bottled water in my first visit here, especially since I specifically asked three different people. Turns out the water had run out and I had been drinking water from a pozo, or well, just like the family. I´m in utter amazement that I did not get sick. Time to be more careful!

My group reunited in the capital for our swearing-in ceremony and settling in workshop, and of course a little bit of dancing all night and going to a beach the next day. Nobody in our group has quit so far, amazingly enough! We all have cell phones now, too. If anybody wants to text message me, they can from the www.orange.com website for free. My number is 1-829-979-9038 for anybody interested!

I rode on my first motorscooter today when a high school girl came to pick me up and take me to her house, showing me around her community. My helmet is quite the fashion statement! I still prefer going in the backs of trucks; it feels even more free and open!

So my job for the next few months is to do a community diagnostic of the area, talking to people first then interviewing them about what they like and what they want to change, and fitting my project to their needs and wants. To gain confianza, I´m the new stranger in town and I talk to anybody who talks to me or even looks my way, and haven´t had any doors shut in my face yet :) Hope my luck continues!

1 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am trying to send you a text message, but I can't figure it out...Can you practice imparting some of your computer knowledge on me? I need help.
I am the only one that can't figure it out?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home