24 April 2006

A Jewel of a Site

We found out our sites today, and I'm going to be up in the Northeast Cibao region. My pueblo is called La Joya, and it's 9 km NW of San Francisco de Macoris, which is the third largest city in the DR. All I know is that the high school that I'll be working in has about 350 kids, and the area is mainly farmland. We meet our project partners tomorrow and leave with them to go check out our sites and cell phone service, and then return to the capital on Sunday. I'll be able to say more about my site then. I am fairly excited for my placement so far, because it sounds like a great location and I won't have to forgo vegetarianism (my fear if I got placed in the desert south!). My technical trainer described the area like the childhood home of the Maribel sisters in the movie In the Time of the Butterflies if anybody has seen that movie. I'm mostly excited about the size of the pueblo (small) and the proximity to a city with a grocery store and internet. I'm extremely nervous about this weekend, so wish me luck.

4 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Becky! I'm glad to hear you are doing well! I will be thinking about you this weekend...I hope your site is great!
-Paz
Angela

 
At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck this weekend--your site will be great and you will love it! Hooray!! I'm happy and excited for you! :-)

 
At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, haven't typed here in a while. Crazy busy with school as I'm sure you can imagine. Good luck with everything coming up. It sounds like you're having a great time!! Miss you!

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! So, let me know if your site is cool, 'cause if so, I'll probably come visit.

If its not cool, well, then...I'll probably come visit you anyway :)

Love you!
Amanda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home