26 August 2006

Coffee, cake, and camp

I’ve started to drink coffee. I’m not completely sure how it happened, but one day instead of refusing it, I decided to try the miniature cup somebody handed me. And I liked it. Here people serve the coffee with sugar – a lot – with no milk, and in very small amounts. So that’s the new change in my life!

On my birthday, I thought nothing out of the ordinary would happen. However, I got lots of good phone calls and messages from all of my friends! In church in the morning, the announcements person had everyone clap for my birthday: a little embarrassing. Even more embarrassing was when the priest talked about what a good person I was for a couple minutes. In the evening, one of my high school kids from the computer club had me come over to borrow my camera, and he’d arranged a surprise party for me with the high school kids from the area! My first surprise party! There was dancing, good music, a fun game, and an awesome cake. And people my own age showed up too, which was fun. What started out as a rainy and inside kind of day turned out to be just wonderful.

Computer camp is in full swing in La Joya. I decided that the kids in my computer club hadn’t gotten the whole summer on the computers, and since we aren’t opening up the center til mid-September, I wanted to give them sort of an intense and fun intro to computers. Each day we have a different theme, such as games, or networking, or PowerPoint, or Photoshop. It’s very fun, and every day last week when we ended at noon we played Capture the Flag in the high school grounds. Hembras vs. Varones (Girls vs. Boys). It’s turned into a huge competition, with a little bit of trickery going on. At least I can be satisfied that if I never make any other differences here in the DR, I will have introduced an awesome game to a good set of people to pass it on :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home