21 February 2006

Ya llegé!

My first go at a computer, and its pretty exciting!
Training in Miami was a pretty good time, other than feeling like a pack horse with my luggage. We are a group of about 30 volunteers, and everyone is cool. The only exploring we had time for was in the couple nights we were there, and so we all went on a huge group "date" for Valentienes Day in Coco Beach. Thursday morning it was off to the DR. . .
At the airport we experienced our first apagon, or power outage, while we were waiting for our luggage. We caught a brief glimpse of the beautiful sea before we got whisked away to a retreat center on the edge of Santo Domingo. There we were supplied with our mosquiteros (mosquito nets), bug spray, and our first dose of malaria prophylaxis. We met a bunch of people, and then early the next morning we headed to the training center.
The training center is in the NW part of the city, and we all live in different barrios around the area with what here is lower middle class families. Its cool; my family has a mom, dad, and 15 year old son living in the house and about a zillion other relatives and friends always popping in. Being alone is something you never need to worry about here! I have a new friend here who is 9 and is stuck to my side like glue. We have electricity sometimes, and running water sometimes too. I sleep like a princess surrounded by the mosquitero, and always forget about it when I wake up in the morning.
We spend most of our days in classes for language, culture, and technical stuff, and almost everything is fun. My host mom here (Tita) is a great cook and basically understands vegetarianism, which is good. I have a couple friends who run, so we go together (before the dark, after the hot), and we have only been chased by a couple dogs. My host mom recommends carrying a stick or rocks.
My time is up, but more to come. . . along with pix.
Oh, and I think we are going to La Vega for Carnaval this weekend. I miss you guys, and wish I had money to pay for the time to email you all! But write back :)
Hasta pronto!

4 Comments:

At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you made it down there safe and sound, my friend. You feel a little further away than usual, but it sounds like you are having a heck of time. Love and miss you darlin! take care ;)

 
At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good time. Except for all the bugs and dogs chasing you. And not having running water all the time. It really makes you think about all the luxeries we have! Miss you!

 
At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola B from MP and LM,

I hope you are having fun with your Spanish! I'm so glad you like your family. Send the address soon--how long until you move?

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger julieb said...

I almost feel like I am there. We miss you here at home. We all hope that you are having a wonderful time. I love when your mom tells me that she has heard from you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home